Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

The electrical wiring in your home is something you use all the time, but probably do not think much about it unless there is a problem. Electrical wiring damage, however, is often dangerous and needs to be promptly repaired. What are some common damages and what do homeowners need to do? Read on to learn more.

Eight Common Types of Electrical Wiring Damage Common in Michigan Homes
  • Too many extension cords
  • Dimming or flickering lights
  • Funny odors
  • Sparking
  • Hot outlets or plates
  • Buzzing
  • Frequently blown fuses or tripped breakers
Too Many Extension Cords

When you run an extension cord from an outlet, you create an opportunity for the cord to break, kink, damage the outlet, or ultimately cause a fire. Extension cords are not inherently bad, but overuse, dependence, and continued use are good signs you need an electrician to install a new outlet.

Dimming or Flickering Lights

Dimming or flickering lights often signal there is something else hogging energy on the same circuit. A licensed electrician from Hoover either moves your lights to a different circuit or dedicates a circuit to your energy-hogging appliance.

Funny Odors

New appliances often give off a strange smell when they are first plugged in. After that time, if you notice a funny odor from an outlet, immediately turn it off, unplug anything plugged into that outlet, and call an electrician. Do not use this outlet again until a repair has been made or it has been inspected by a trained electrician.

Sparking

Regardless of the source, sparks are always dangerous. When you see sparks, first figure out if they came from an outlet, breaker, fuse, or appliance. If the sparks are from an appliance, call an appliance repair person or the manufacturer if you feel it is a warranty claim.

If the sparking is from part of your home’s wiring, call an electrician right away. It is likely dangerous electrical wiring damage.

Hot Outlets or Plates

No part of your home’s electrical wiring should be hot to the touch. If you notice a switch plate or outlet feels hot, unplug anything connected and wait a few minutes. If the outlet feels hot without anything plugged into it, incorrect wiring is likely. Call an electrician to inspect this situation right away.

Buzzing

Electricity should make no sound when running through your home. If you do hear a buzzing sound, it is a sign there is something wrong. Anything that causes the current to jump, such as a loose connection or frayed wires, causes this buzzing sound.

If you unplug a device and the buzzing stops, the problem is the device. If you hear the buzzing inside a wall, outlet, or switch, it is probably electrical wiring damage and time to call an electrician.

Frequently Blown Fuses or Breakers

Fuses and breakers are meant to trip in order to prevent an overload. If you notice every time you plug in a certain appliance, it trips a breaker; the appliance is likely to blame.

However, if you notice that a certain outlet always seems to blow your fuse, then contact an electrician to check it. Electrical wiring damage in your outlet is a possibility here.

Electrical Wiring Damage Repair Experts Ready to Help You

For electrical wiring damage big or small, Hoover is your partner in repair! We have nearly 40 years of experience in electrical installation and repair. Don’t risk your safety. Call us today to schedule your electrical repair in Clinton Township!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *