Garbage Disposal Services from Leading Kitchen Plumbing Experts
If you need help with garbage disposal repair or replacement, Hoover has you covered. A garbage disposal provides a quick way to grind up and discard food scraps so they can be safely drained away. But if it’s not working properly, a variety of issues can occur, which can lead to more damage to your plumbing system. Fortunately, our garbage disposal repair technicians can quickly troubleshoot and resolve issues, install a new system, and ensure your kitchen plumbing is protected.
Signs Your Garbage Disposal Needs to Be Serviced
A garbage disposal problem can make it hard to cook or clean your dishes and can affect your sink and pipes. Calling a professional can mean an issue can be fixed before you need garbage disposal replacement services. Here are some signs you should call a contractor:
- Noise: The sound of metal scraping can mean silverware has fallen inside the unit. Other noises can mean comments are misaligned or something is obstructing the motor. A humming or whirring sound often means an object is jammed inside.
- Odors: Food caught in the unit can rot. Rinsing it out should get rid of unpleasant odors. If this doesn’t work, call a professional who knows how to disassemble the garbage disposal, remove trapped particles, and use safe methods to restore the unit.
- Leaks: A leak from where the disposal connects to your plumbing system can cause water to pool under the sink, on the floor, or from the disposal itself. It’s often hard to distinguish from a dishwasher or sink leak, but a professional can help.
- Clogs: If small loads cause a jam, the garbage disposal may need to be repaired, is failing, or is not high enough in capacity. A technician will recommend whether to keep unclogging it or install a replacement.
- Lack of Power: For various reasons, a garbage disposal can shut off as you’re using it. An issue with a circuit or electrical connection may be the cause. Or, the motor that runs the unit may be failing.
Hoover’s Garbage Disposal Repair Services
Our kitchen plumbing technicians have the tools and equipment to provide a comprehensive inspection once they reach your home. Their diagnostic capabilities enable them to identify and resolve any issues. Upon evaluating the system, they’ll discuss their findings and your repair options with transparent pricing. Next, they will quickly address any garbage disposal problem. They can restore and find ways to improve performance.
Hoover’s Garbage Disposal Replacement Services
If your garbage disposal has consistently performed poorly, our technicians may recommend replacing it. Other reasons to consider replacing it include if it won’t turn on, you frequently need to press the reset button, foul odors never go away, or water drains slowly. Leaking garbage disposals often have damaged internal seals, so they must be replaced.
Garbage disposals come in different speeds and power levels. Batch feed models run only with a stopper over the opening, which helps protect curious children. Food must be placed in the disposal before turning it on. Continuous feed models turn on when you flick a switch and run until turned off; you can add food as the unit is running.
Higher-quality garbage disposals have higher horsepower motors, so are less likely to jam. The most powerful units are larger and can grind just about anything. You may also want to consider paying more for a longer warranty, a system with a power cord, or a quieter model. The investment may also help you benefit from greater energy efficiency and longevity.
Benefits of Timely Garbage Disposal Maintenance
We strongly recommend proper garbage disposal maintenance. It can prevent odors, improve efficiency, avoid costly repairs, and help the system last longer. You’ll also have fewer clogs and breakdowns to deal with. To properly maintain your garbage disposal:
- Avoid dumping bones, fibrous vegetables, and other items that are hard to grind up.
- Do not clean the disposal with harsh chemicals that can damage it.
- Run cold water while dumping food waste down the garbage disposal.
- Routinely clean the unit with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar.
- Do not force more waste down the unit than it can handle.
Why Choose Hoover
Our technicians are trained and educated in garbage disposal repair and replacement. If you live in Troy, MI, or surrounding areas, you can expect high-quality service, often the same day you call. We specialize in addressing urgent garbage disposal issues, which is helpful because some problems can lead to water damage or bigger kitchen plumbing problems. Our technicians will check for and fix additional issues and have the tools and equipment to quickly replace a part or your entire garbage disposal, if necessary.
Should I Repair or Replace a Garbage Disposal?
A technician can often repair it. But if the unit is slow to process waste, leaks, is noisy, or clogs often, they will likely recommend replacing it.
How Long Does a Garbage Disposal Last?
Most garbage disposals last 10 to 12 years, but a well-maintained, high-quality system can last up to 15 years. More frequent usage can increase wear and tear and shorten its lifespan.
Can I Unclog a Jammed Garbage Disposal?
If you can see and reach the obstruction, you can use a long-handled wooden spoon or the end of a wooden broom as a tool to move the blades. Using tongs, pull out the clog. However, we recommend calling a professional if you’re unsure of the nature of the clog or if parts of the unit may have been damaged.
Call Hoover for Garbage Disposal Repair and Replacement
You can trust our kitchen plumbing professionals to fix your garbage disposal, no matter the problem, or provide equipment replacement services if necessary. They can quickly diagnose and correct clogs, jams, odors, leaks, or power issues. Financing options are available if a new unit is required. To schedule garbage disposal repair or replacement in your Troy, MI, home, call (586) 701-6127 today.