Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

A water main leak can be a major hassle, causing high water bills, puddles on the lawn, dirty water in the house, and even sinkholes. You might also have a leak if you hear running water or the pipes in your house have lost water pressure. If you suspect you have a water main leak, it’s extremely important to turn off your water supply immediately and call for professional help. After that, though, it’s good to determine who is responsible for paying to fix the problem.

The water main is a very large pipe, deep underground, which brings water to the pipes that lead to your house. Sometimes, a water main break can happen, leading to massive flooding, but other times, the water main simply leaks. What causes a water main leak? It could be a lack of maintenance, or weather changes, or even just aging pipes.

Whose responsibility is a water main leak?

It’s typically the county’s. The water main falls under the county’s jurisdiction, as do the pipes running from the main water service line to the pipes in your yard. If the leak is between your water meter and the water main, the county will generally handle it. On the other hand, if you don’t maintain the area around the water meter, you could be liable.

It’s always your responsibility to repair a leak if it occurs between the water meters and your house. This means that, unfortunately, if there’s standing water in your yard or water backing up into the house, it’s probably your responsibility to take care of it. You’ll need to immediately call in a professional plumber to repair the leak before it gets any worse.

Of course, this can get tricky if you rent your home or share the water supply with other properties. In the case of a rental, call your landlord, because that’s where responsibility lies. If your supply pipe serves more than just your property, check the title deeds of your property to determine how responsibility for this pipe is shared.

If you need plumbing help, call Hoover Electric. Hoover Electric, Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling has been serving customers in Southeast Michigan since 1980, offering courteous, professional service. We offer all the services you need for residential maintenance under one roof, so we can offer extremely competitive pricing while maintaining great customer service and guaranteed satisfaction. When you’re looking for top-quality electrical, plumbing, heating, or cooling services in Clinton Township, contact Hoover through our website or call 586-232-9204 today.