Signs it’s Time to Replace Your Thermostat
Your thermostat is probably something you take for granted. In fact, most people don’t even really notice their thermostat until it begins to malfunction. Even then, it may not be obvious that there’s a problem. Will you know when it’s time to replace your thermostat? Here are a few tell-tale signs:
- It won’t turn on. If your thermostat suddenly experiences a power failure, it may need to be replaced. You can try replacing the batteries, but if the inner workings of the thermostat are not functioning, there’s not much you can do.
- It won’t turn off. On the other hand, your thermostat may be triggering your heater or air conditioner to run continuously. If this is happening, check to make sure the thermostat is set to auto and the temperature setting is where you want it to be. If both of those things are correct and the HVAC is still running, it’s probably time for a new thermostat.
- The HVAC cycles on and off rapidly. This can happen if the temperature near your thermostat is changing, perhaps from an exterior door opening and closing or from direct sunlight. In that case, it might be beneficial to move the thermostat. On the other hand, your furnace or air conditioner may be too large for your space, and that can cause it to cycle frequently. If neither of these is the issue, you may need to replace your thermostat.
- The thermostat activates your HVAC at the wrong temperature. If your system turns on when it’s not at the temperature you’ve set, the thermostat’s sensor may be defective. Sometimes, the thermostat’s calibration can be adjusted by plus or minus five degrees. If the problem exceeds five degrees, you should replace the thermostat.
- You feel a draft. Sometimes, with an old thermostat, you may feel cold or warm spots throughout your living space. This is the result of uneven distribution of air and poor ventilation. It could mean you need a new thermostat, but it’s best to ask a professional for help.
- Your thermostat is obsolete. The thermostat doesn’t have to be broken to warrant a replacement. Sometimes, you may just want an upgrade! If your system has a manual thermostat, you’re not getting the most out of your HVAC. Upgrading to a new, digital, programmable thermostat means lower monthly utility costs and user-friendly features.
When it’s time for a new thermostat, it’s time to contact Hoover Electric, Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling. In addition to thermostat replacement, we provide furnace maintenance and repair, as well as heating installation, to keep you warm all winter. Since 1980, Hoover has been serving customers in Southeast Michigan, offering courteous, professional service. We offer all the services you need for residential maintenance under one roof, providing competitive pricing while maintaining great customer service and guaranteed satisfaction. When you’re looking for top-quality electrical, plumbing, heating, or cooling services in Clinton Township, contact Hoover through our website or call 586-232-9204 today.