Water heater repairs are costly and prices continue to climb. As of 2023, the national average cost is $600, according to Angi. But the price range is substantial. Depending on the issue, you may pay under $100, or as much as $1,700, to have your water heater fixed.1 We’ll break down the cost of hot water heater repair service to help you understand why.
What Affects the Cost of Hot Water Heater Repair
Many factors influence the cost of water heater repair. The bill from your HVAC company is determined by considering the following:
Type of Repair
The type of repair depends on the part or component affected. An issue can originate from more than one problem, which would mean more than one repair is required. Water heaters have a few different parts; based on data from HomeGuide, here are some average prices to replace common components:
- Dip Tube: $100 to $300
- Heating Element: $100 to $350
- Anode Rod: $150 to $350
- Circulator Pump: $150 to $680
- Expansion Tank: $100 to $400
- Gas Control Valve: $150 to $550
- Flue Pipe: $100 to $350
- Igniter: $75 to $350
- Heat Exchanger: $600 to $1,300
- Pressure Relief Valve: $50 to $300
- Thermocouple: $100 to $325
- Thermostat: $100 to $3502
It can cost $100 to $1,000 to fix a leak. Flushing and cleaning the tank is a common service that can cost $75 to $250, while flushing/descaling a tankless water heater can run up to $300. But a tune-up, which can also prevent major repairs, goes from $100 to $500.2
Meanwhile, replacing a tank water heater can cost up to $1,800, and installing a tankless water heater can cost up to $3,500.2
Electric Water Heater Repair Cost
Repairing a gas water heater costs up to $600 on average. But the average cost to repair an electric water heater is from $100 to $350. The most common repair for this type of unit is replacing the heating element.2
Depending on the length of the repair, labor can account for much of the cost of a hot water heater repair service. Plumbers generally charge from $45 to $150 per hour. That’s why replacing even a small, inexpensive part can still result in a surprising repair bill. However, professional service avoids damage or injuries such as burns that can occur by working on a water heater without experience.
A plumber’s labor isn’t the only charge you need to consider. Oftentimes, an electrician is also needed; they may charge $50 to $100 per hour to help service a water heater.3
Where You Live
The cost of parts and labor varies by geographical location. For example, the average cost of water heater repairs in Tampa, FL, is $539. But in Los Angeles, CA, and Houston, TX, expect to pay up to $627. The average cost of $762 for a water heater repair in Boston, MA, is among the highest in the country.
How Do I Save on the Cost of Hot Water Heater Repair Service
Taking on a DIY repair may seem like a fast way to save upfront. But we don’t recommend it. Plumbers complete extensive training to be certified to work on water heaters. Plus, there are too many risks with fixing the unit yourself. More effective ways to save money include:
- Insulate the Water Heater Tank: Using insulation rated for a water heater’s tank and pipes reduces heat loss. The unit won’t work as hard, so it may require fewer repairs.
- Schedule Regular Tank Flushes: Regularly draining and flushing the tank can eliminate sediment that can cause clogs and accelerate corrosion in the tank.
- Purchase Parts Yourself: Compare the cost of parts from your plumber and your local hardware store. Ordering parts separately can save money if your plumber charges a markup.
- Schedule Service During Off-Peak Hours: If possible, schedule a service call during the work week instead of on the weekend when emergency call volume tends to increase.
- Compare Price Estimates: Contact at least three hot water heater repair service companies and get a quote. While the lowest price doesn’t always equal the best service, you can compare costs with reviews and what the company includes in its estimate.
- Replace the Water Heater: Replacing the unit is a more costly upfront investment. But it can save on having to repair the old water heater again in the future. The more parts that stop working, the more likely others will soon wear out.
Call Hoover Today
Customers in Southeast Michigan depend on Hoover for all types of water heater repairs. Whether a unit requires a dip tube, burner, or heating element or is noisy, leaking, or not producing hot water, our licensed technicians can fix it. Financing is available to help manage repair costs. To request hot water heater repair service and receive an estimate, call 586-701-6127 today.